Helo, reders welcome to “textilesgreen.in” today i m providing valuable information of basic dye. So, read complete article, Let’s get started….
Basic dye is synthetic class type dyes. these dyes are insoluble in water.
Basic dyes are windly used for synthetic materials Such as wool, silk, acrylic and acrylic/cotton.
Dye have good colouring agent. it is produce bright shade and high tintorial value.
If you want to know in details about basic dyeing process then hold your seat and be with the end of guide……….
I have made this guide to help you out.
So, you could get valuable information out of it. let’s get started in details……..
Basically, basic dyes are synthetic type class dyes. it is insoluble in water.
Basic dyes are windly used for synthetic materials, for example silk, acrylic,blend.
Basic dyes used in acidic condition.
Basic dyes are also called cationic dyes.
The chromophore in basic dyes molecules contains a positive charge.
Basic dyes are powerful colouring agent
Basic dyes is produced bright shade and produce high tinctorial values.
Basic dyes are also used for dyeing and printing.
Basic dyes have ability to print of all types of design on textile materials.
The Fastness Properties of this dyes are avarage to good.
What is basic dyes?
Basic dyes is a synthetic type class dyes. basic dyes have good affinity for synthetic materials.
Basic dyes have good ability to dyeing of synthetic materials.
Basic dyes are produce bright shade and high tinctorial values.
The Solubility of this dyes is very good in water with the presence of the glacial acetic acid.
Dye molecules of basic dyes contains positive charge during dyeing.
Dyeing is done with good process then results, even dyeing.
Basic dye properties
• Basic dyes are insoluble in water.
• basic dye are soluble only in alcohol.
• Basic dye is synthetic class type dyes.
• Basic dyes have good affinity for synthetic materials.
• Basic dyes is windly apply on synthetic materials.
• basic dyes are also apply on silk, acrylic acrylic/cotton materials.
• basic dye is produced bright shade.
• basic dye is a powerful colouring agent.
• basic dye is also called cationic dyes.
• levelling Properties of basic dyes is poor.
• basic dyes is used in acidic condition.
• fastness properties of basic dyes are avarage to good.
• basic dyes is produced excellent shade.
• basic dyeing is comparatively cheap process. and it is a cheap in price.
This article is also important, disperse dye.
Basic dyes Classification
1. Basic dye, required to proper dyeing methods otherwise uneven dyeing will occurs. So, dyeing is done with very carefully.
2. After complete process, we get complete color with good brilliant shades.
3. Good colour range or shades.
4. Even dyeing can be done with good guideline.
5. washing fastness of Basic dyes are poor.
6. light fastness is also poor.
Basic dyes examples
• Methylene blue
• basic red
• basic blue 9
• crystal violet
Basic dyes list
• Victoria blue R 100%
• Basic brown G 100%
• malachite Green crystals 100%
• chrysoidine 100%
• Rhodamine 6 GDN 100%
• Rhodamine B extra
• magenta crystals 100%
• Auramine o concern 100%/120%
The Solubility of this dyes is very good with the prences of glacial acetic acid. Normally, basic dyes are insoluble in water but it become soluble with the prences of glacial acetic acid.
Basic dyes Exhaustion rate are variable its depends upon the quality of dyes.
Basic dyes have very good affinity towards silk, acrylic, acrylic/cotton but basic dye have not affinity for cellulosic materials. So is also called synthetic class dyes. these dyes are windly apply on acrylic, silk, wool, and also acrylic/cotton materials.
Basic dyes fastness property
1. Dyeing of acrylic with basic dye
Preparation of dye bath solution,
• Dye stuff – x%
• A. acid – up to pH 5 – 5.5
• Retardar – 4%
• G. salt – 5 – 10 %
• Temperature – 50°C
Process Sequence of acrylic dyeing.
In textile dyeing process, first off dye bath is prepared for dyeing purpose and than fix pH. In case of basic/ cationic dye pH is required 5 – 5.5.
First set dye bath without solution then set pH 5 – 5.5 and then inter good in dye bath and then after 10 mint inter dye solution
and again after 5 mint raise temp quickly and after 15 mint again raise temp 80°C then continue dyeing and then dyeing is done at 90-100°C for 45mint and then drain, cold wash, and Dry.
2. Dyeing of Acrylic/cotton blend with basic dye
Preparation of acrylic/cotton fabric for dyeing
• Hot alkali solution are not use. it convert nitro group to amide group.
• Enzymes solution as same cotton procedure and not required cold wash.
• Scouring with non-ionic detergent solution 1% at 80°C for 2 hours.
• it is not sufficient to get good absorbancy to the cotton fibers.
Acrylic/cotton matterial are bleached with the help of following recipe
H2O2 (35%) – 7 gpl
Sodium silicate – 3 gpl
Temp – 90°C
Time – 1 hours
• Dyeing of acrylic/cotton fibers with basic dye (Cationic dye) with the help of following process.
Recipe of Acrylic/cotton fibers for dyeing
• Cationic dye – x %
• A. acid – 3 %
• Glablur salt – 0.5 gpl
• Potassium bicarbonate – 0.05 – 0.1 gpl
• pH – 4 – 5
• Levelling agent – 0.5 – 1 %
Dyeing of Acrylic/cotton blend
In this dyeing process, first set the dye bath without recipe or solution. After 5 mint interduce the goods in dye bath, after 5 mint raise the temperature for 80°C for 10 mint then after 10mint again raise the temperature at 100°C for 45 mint
and continue dyeing is done at 100°C for 60 mint and then after 1 hours cool the materials at 50-60°C and then again add solution of direct dye then again in this process temperature raise at 100°C for 40-60 mint
and now finely washing is carried out and then dry. And this is the process of acrylic/Cotton blend fabrics.
3. Dyeing of Acrylic/wool blend with basic dye (Cationic dye) or metal complex dye.
Preparation of acrylic/wool blend fibers for dyeing
Scouring of acrylic/wool fibers with the following recipes.
Non – ionic detergent – 1-2 gpl
Time – 2 hours
Temp – 80°C
Then the blend is conborised with sulphuric acid by drying at 80-85°C and baking at 100- 110°C.
The wool component bleached with the following recipe;
H2O2 – 2-5 gpl
Sodium silicate – 2-3 gpl
Time – 1 hours
Temp – 50-60°C
• Then yellowing of acrylic fibre remove by after treatment with the help of formic acid.
• The yellowing of acrylic fiber remove by After treatment with also the help of detergent.
After bleaching dyeing is carried out with the help of following recipe.
• Cationic dye – x %
• Sulphuric acid (96%) – 3 %
• Formic acid (85 %) – 5 %
• pH – 2 – 3
• Pottasium bicarbonate – 0.03 – 0.1 % ( add if necessary).
• Acrylic/wool blend dyeing process
In this dyeing process, first off all the goods are enterduce at 70°C and then raise the temperature 80°C in 10 – 15 mint. before adding x% Metal Complex dye and then take 1 – 2 % dispersing agent.
and then the dye bath is heated 100°C within 40 mint. and then dyeing is done at 100°C for 1hours (60 mint) then cool at 60°C and then drain, wash, Soap, wash, and then finally complete dry is required.
Complete process is given in this figher so read properly then you can easily understand.
4. Dyeing of jute fiber with basic dye
Basic dye are windly use for dyeing of Acrylic fibers because dye have more affinity for Acrylic materials.
But some time this dye are also be dyed jute fibers with the help of dyeing process.
First off all, here I m going to show basic recipe for dyeing of jute materials.
Dye – X %
Acetic Acid – 1 gm/I
Sodium Acetate -. 2 GM/I
M:L – 1:20
Temp – 90°C
Time – 1 hour
First, off all take dye (amount of dye) and then take acetic acid is mixed properly.
• Dye + acetic acid = mixed properly
Then add required amount of water and then take sodium acetate and both mixed properly.
• water + sodium acetate = mixed properly
Both solutions are put in dye bath then finely sample is taken in dye bath solution. then close the dye bath vessal and vessal is keep on rotadryer machine and heated at 90°C then continue dyeing start at 90°C for 1 hour. Then sample is drawn from dye bath and then washed with water and dry.
• Basic dyes can be more useful for Acrylic materials. Because this dyes are windly used for dyeing of acrylic materials. process.
• Basic dyes is given good results for acrylic fibres or materials. this dyes are also uses for dyeing purpose of acrylic materials.
(Asking questions and answers)
• Are basic dyes possitively charged?
Basic dye are called cationic dyes because the chromophore in basic dyes molecules contains a positive charge.
Basic dyes molecules contains possitive charge and materials have negative charge this is the reason dyeing is properly done. it is powerful colouring agent.
• Importance of basic dyes?
Basic dyes have ability to dyed natural or synthetic materials.
basically, basic dyes are synthetic class dyes. basic dyes is produced poor light fastness on natural fabric.
But in case of synthetic materials it produces good light fastness.
Basic dyes are ideally dyeing such as wool, acrylic, and synthetic materials.
Basic dyes is giving overall good activity and good results for synthetic types materials.
If basic dye is used regularly with the help of hand dyeing it can cause health defects. Don’t use with hand dyeing because skin problems may be occur.
• Basic dyes have not good light fastness compare to the acid dyes.
Importance of acid dyes?
Acid dyes are highly soluble in water.
Acid dyes are more popular for dyeing of for silk, wool and acrylic materials.
In case of acid dyes, PH maintain acidic to natural. this dyes have good affinity for synthetic materials.
Acid dyes have not good affinity for cellulosic materials.
Acid dyes is windly used for silk type materials.
Acid dyes are anionic in nature when the dissolve in water.
light fastness is better then basic dyes.
• What is Basic dyes and Acid dyes?
Acid dyes are highly soluble in water.
Acid dyes have good affinity for wool and silk materials.
In case of acid dyes PH will be 2 for acid levelling dyes and 4-5 for acid milling dyes.
Basic dyes are insoluble in water.
Basic dyes are highly affinity for synthetic materials.
basic dyes are catonic in nature.
Basic dyes are windly apply on acrylic materials.
Basic dyes molecules contains +ve charge. so, basic dye are easily react on materials because materials is provided -ve charge.
limitation of basic dyes?
• poor light fastness.
• shade value is not good.
• skin problems and health issues occur.
• not good affinity for cellulosic fibers.
• Advantage of basic dye?
1. In case of basic dyeing, after complete process we get normal substantivity.
2. After complete process, we get wide shade range.
3. After complete process, we get better brightness on the surface of materials or fabric.
4. After processing, we get good tinetorial value.