Valency of sulphur is determine by electrons configuration.
What is concept of valency?
If we are taking about what is the basic concepts of valency and the basis concepts for this is, the electrons gained or loss by an atom to complete outmost shell. it mean, atom stability depends upon gained electrons or loss electrons for complete outmost shell. if the outmost shell is completed then that atom is said to be stable. Stability of an atoms is possible with gaining electrons or loosing electrons for complete outmost shell. this phenomenon is know as valency.
What is concept of valency shell?
The outmost electrons shell of an atom is called valency shell. and the outmost shell of an atom containing the valence electrons.
What is concept of valency electrons?
The electrons is available or persent in outmost shell of an atom are know as valency electrons.
What is valency of sulphur?
The valency of sulphur is determined by two methods. such as,
- Valency of sulphur is determine by periodic table.
- Valency of sulphur is determine by electrons configuration.
1. Valency of sulphur, is determine by periodic table.
You can check directly, element of group 16 because atomic waight of sulfur is 16. you got the valency of oxygen and the valency of sulphur is 6 in periodic table.
2. Valency of sulphur, is determine by electrons configuration.
You know that, sulphur atom has 6 electrons in the outmost shell. and the valency of sulphur could be 6. Sulphur required 2 electrons to complete outmost shell. so, sulphur gain 2 electrons to achieve stability and complete outermost shell. it mean, sulphur has to gain 2 electrons. As show in structure of sulfur.
Now, you can understand properly with the help of electron configuration. So, let’s write electron configuration of sulphur.
Sulfur electron configuration is,
1s2, 2s2, 2p6, 3s2, 3p4
the highest energy level in electrons configuration is, 3s2 3p4.
if add this,
We get 2 + 4 = 6.
So, the valency is 6.
Due to this reason, gained 2 electron for proper stability of sulphur or complete octet in outermost shell.
therefore, the valency of sulphur is 2.
The option c is write answer.
And if we are talking about so2 and so3 it required 6 electrons to complete the outermost shell.
therefore, the valency of this compound such as,
(S) sulphur – 2
(so2) sulphur dioxide – 6
(so3) sulphur trioxide – 6
What is basic concepts for the valency of sulfur in (S), sulfur dioxide (SO2), and sulfur trioxide (SO3)?
1. Valency of sulfur (S)
• Sulphur electron configuration is, [Ne] 3s1.
• Sulphur atom has 6 electrons in the outmost shell. and the valency of sulphur could be 6. Sulphur required 2 electrons to complete outmost shell.
• Sulfur required gained 2 electron for proper stability of sulphur or complete octet in outermost shell.
• therefore, the valency of sulphur is 2.
2. Valency of sulphur dioxide (SO2)
• First draw the structure of sulfur dioxide.
• Sulfur atoms is bound with two atoms of oxygen. It connect with duble bond.
• In sulfur dioxide, valency of sulfur is +4.
• therefore, sulfur compound, such as, so2 have a valency of 6.
3. Valency of sulfur trioxide (SO3)
• First of all, draw the structure of sulfur trioxide.
• If you look the structure of sulfur trioxide, in sulfur trioxide there are three oxygen atoms bound with one sulfur atoms.
• In sulfur trioxide, the valency of sulfur is +6.
• In sulfur trioxide, the valency of O3 is -6.
therefore, we can say that the valency of sulfur trioxide is 6.
Sulfur Electron Configuration
Sulfur electron configuration – sulfur ia an non metalic chemical element. sulfur is the most reactive chemical element. it is insoluble in water. sulfur has a chemical symbol (S) and atomic number of sulfur is 16. sulfur is poor conductor of electricity.
- Symbol – S
- Solubility – insoluble in water
- Electron Configuration – [Ne] 3s2 3p4
- Electronegativity – 2.58
- Electron per shell – 2, 8, 6
Sulfur electron configuration:
lets know about sulfur electron configuration.
the atomic number of sulfur is 16. this mean, sulfur atoms contain 16 electrons.
Now, let’s know about sub shell of sulfur atom.
the arrangements of atomic sub shell of sulfur in order to increase principles energy.
Shell 1 – 1s consisting one 1s orbitals and only two electron are placed in 1s sub shell.
for example –
It contain 2s sub shell with one 2s orbitals, you can placed next two electrons.
for example –
Shell 2 – shell three, contain 2p sub shell with three 2p orbitals. you can put total of 6 electrons.
for example –
Shell 3 – shell 4, contain 3s sub shell with 3s orbitals, and only two electron put in 3s orbitals.
for example –
Shell 4 – shell 4, contain 3p sub shell with 3p orbitals, only 4 electrons are required to complete the sulfur electron configuration. because the atomic number of sulfur is 16. that’s why only 4 electron are put doun in 3p orbitals.
for example –
In case of 3p orbitals, four electron are required for the complete electron configuration for sulfur. that the reason 4 electron are put doun in 3p orbitals. but 2 electron are unpaired.
finely, you can write the total sulfur electron configuration,
this way, sulfur electron configuration are completed.
Number of valence electron for sulfur atoms.
Actually, there are six valence electron in the outer shell of sulfur.
Importance of sulfur electron configuration
If we are talking about group state of sulfur electron configuration.
- In sulfur electron configuration, the first two electrons go in the first orbitals. as first only holds 2 electrons.
- And next two electron for sulphur goes in 2s orbitals.
- Now, next 6 electrons for sulfur goes in 2p orbitals.
- next 2 electrons put down in 3s orbitals.
- Now, only 4 electrons are required to complete the electron configuration for sulfur atom. Because the atomic number of sulfur is 16.
- thats why only 4 electrons are put down in 3p orbitals to complete the electron configuration for sulfur atom. As shown in figure.
- Finley, we can write for sulfur electron configuration – 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s 3p4.
Uses of sulfur
- Sulfur is used for production of strong acid. such as sulphuric acid.
- Sulfur is used in chemicals industry.
- Sulfur is used in textiles industry.
- Sulfur is used in oil industry.
- Sulfur is used in fertilizer industry.
- Sulfur is used in product manufacturing such as cement.